3.08.2007

Forgot something

Ok, so I had, for some reason forgot to post about the turbo timer I installed in my car. First off, let me tell you not to order stuff from Performancecenter.com. I ordered my timer from them in November, and it was only through constant complaining over the phone that I was able to finally get them to ship me one in February, and then it looked like they ordered it from a different online store instead of the manufacturer.

So, for those of you who actually read this and don't already know, a turbo timer is a piece of hardware you can plug into your electrical system near the steering column. It allows you to let your engine run for a set amount of time after you remove your key from the ignition. This is important if you want to keep your turbos healthy. When you run a turbocharged engine, oil gets fed into the turbo to keep friction down, just like most moving parts in a car. The problem lies in that if you were to just turn off your engine with the hot oil still in your turbos, it will bake in and eventually damage them. For this reason, it is recommended that you let your engine idle for a little while after you are finished driving, especially when pushing your car. This lets the oil cool gradually, settling back in it's container, instead of just sitting in the turbo.

The turbo timer will do this automatically by telling your engine to run. On the model I purchased (like the one pictured above, only black instead of silver), you can set it to any time up to 10 minutes, or set it on automatic, so the timer reads the information going through it on how long the cars been running above certain rpms, and gives a time that your car needs to idle. Honestly, I could just sit in the car myself and run the engine, but that would not only waste my time, but I would also tend to over-estimate the amount of time, and that would waste my precious gasoline.

I think that's a good post, so I'll leave it at that for now.

1 comment:

Auryn said...

I wish I knew this when I had a car with a turbocharged engine...not that it mattered after all (the car was totaled before the turbocharger had a chance to get ruined). Still, glad to have learned for next time...